Curriculum Vitae - July, 2004
Moriel NessAiver, Ph.D.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Diagnostic Imaging
University of Maryland School of Medicine
(410) 982-6599 (office)
(410) 982-6599 (office)
(443) 926-0583 (Fax)
(443) 926-0583 (Fax)
B.S.: 5/82 (Magna Cum Laude) - All degrees are in Biomedical Engineering
M.S. : 5/85
Ph.D.: 6/88 Dissertation Title: Two Topics in NMR: Intensity Correction in Surface Coil Imaging and Simultaneous Measurement of T1 in Two Compartments
1996- Consultant/Publisher Simply Physics, Baltimore, Maryland
2002- Adjunct Asst. Professor Diagnostic Imaging, University of Maryland
1994-2002 Asst. Professor Diagnostic Imaging, University of Maryland
1989-1994 Senior Staff Scientist Picker International, Highland Heights, Ohio
1988-1989 Physicist Elscint Ltd., Haifa, Israel
1986-1988 Research Assistant Huntington Medical Research Institute, Pasadena
Spring '86 Instructor USC Biomedical Engineering , L.A., CA
1995-Present: Member of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
Member of Cardiac, and Flow Study groups
’01- Present: Serving on ISMRM Ad Hoc committee for electronic education
’02- Serving on ISMRM Ad Hoc committee for electronic media
1996-Present: Cancer Research Foundation of America Scientific Review Panel
1997-Present Member of American Association of Physicists in Medicine
2001-2003: Serving on AAPM MRI committee
1999-Present: Member of American College Of Radiology - MRI Accreditation Phantom Reviewer
2001-Present: Serving on MRI Accreditation Committee.
Journals review for: AJR, Medical Physics, Radiographics.
Honors and Awards
5/82 Magna Cum Laude from University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
9/83—5/87 "All University Pre—Doctoral Merit Fellowship," - USC’s highest academic graduate fellowship
1/77 USC Swim Team Award for Academic Excellence, Highest GPA
12/28/93 # 5,273,040 Measurement of Ventricle Volumes with Cardiac MRI
7/19/94 # 5,329,925 Reduced Scan Time Cardiac Gated MR Cine and Flow Imaging
9/20/94 # 5,348,011 Shared Excitation Phase Encode Grouping for Improved Throughput Cardiac Gated MRI Cine Imaging
9/5/95 #5,273,040 High Temporal Resolution Black Blood Cine Imaging
2/97-1/98 Maryland Industrial Partnerships #1944.19 for $64,960. Development of ImSyn for High Performance MRI reconstruction.
7/96-6/97 University School of Medicine Intramural Grant # 02-1-30845 Improved MRI of the Carotid Artery for the Pre-operative Assessment of Potential Candidates for Carotid Endarterectomy.
8/95-1/97 Maryland Industrial Partnerships #1634.16 for $56,000. High Performance Magnetic Resonance Image Management
1/98-12/00 Whitaker Foundation Biomedical Engineering Research Grant - $210,000. Application of Opto-electronic implementation of the 2D Discrete Fourier Transform to Real Time Reconstruction of Non-rectilinear MRI Data Sets
Refereed Journal Articles
11. Berg, WA, Gutierrez L, NessAiver MS, Carter WB, Bhargavan M, Lewis RS, Ioffe OB, Diagnostic Accuracy of Mammography, Clinical Breast Examination, Ultrasound, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging in a Preoperative Assessment of the Local Extent of Breast Cancer. Radiology (In Press)
10. NessAiver MS, Prince J. Magnitude Image CSPAMM Reconstruction (MICSR), Mag Res Med; 2003 (50) 2 331-342
9. Stone M, Davis EP, Douglas AS, NessAiver MS, Gullapalli R, Levine WS, Lundberg A. Modeling Tongue Surface Contours From Cine-MRI Images. Journal of Speech Language, and Hearing Research. 2001 (44) 1026-1040
8. Stone M, Davis EP, Douglas AS, NessAiver MS, Gullapalli R, Levine WS, Lundberg A. Modeling the motion of the internal tongue from tagged cine-MRIimages. Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 2001, 109(6)
7. Ivey FM, Tracy BL, Lemmer JT, NessAiver M, EJ Metter, JL Fozard, and BF Hurley. Effects of Strength Training and Detraining on Muscle Quality: Age and Gender Comparisons. Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences. 2000;55(3):B152-9
6. White CS, Laskey WK, Stafford JL, NessAiver M Coronary MRA: Use in Assessing Anomalies of Coronary Artery Origin. JCAT 1999 Mar-Apr;23(2):203-7
5. Mackowiak PA, Siegel E, Wasserman SS, Cameron E, NessAiver M, Bever CT. Effects of IFN-beta on human cerebral blood flow distribution. J Interferon cytokine Res. 1998 Jun; 18(6):393-7
4. White CS, Baffa JM, Haney PJ, Campbell AB, NessAiver M Anomalies of pulmonary veins: usefulness of spin-echo and gradient-echo MR images. AJR 1998; 170:1365-1368
3. Pomerantz SM, Daly BD, Krebs Tl, NessAiver M, Kepes Sy, Wong JJ Quality assurance for abdominal CT: a rapid comoputer assisted technique. AJR 1996; 167,1141-1145
2. Li H, Clarke GD, NessAiver M, Liu H, Peshock R. Magnetic resonance imaging k-space segmentation using phase-encoding groups: the accuracy of quantitative measurements of pulsatile flow. Medical Physics 1995 (22(4):391-9
1. Clarke GD, Eckels R, Chaney C, Smith D, Dittrich j, Hundley WG, NessAiver M, Li HF, Parkey RW, Peshock RM. Measurement of absolute epicardial coronary artery flow and flow reserve using breath-hold cine phase contrast magnetic resonance imaging. Circulation, 1995 91(10):2627-34
Books, Book Chapters and Educational Videos
5. NessAiver M. Magnetic Resonance Physics Video Series - 12 tape series, 14.5 hours. 2000: Edumed Corporation
4. NessAiver M. Concepts in MR Physics SMRT Educational Seminars 1998: Vol 1, #2 , 38 pages
3. NessAiver M. All You Really Need to Know About MRI Physics Simply Physics, Baltimore, MD. 1996: 142 pages
2. Mirvis SE, NessAiver M. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Acute Cervical Spine Trauma (CH. 3) In The Radiology of Acute Cervical Spine Trauma 3rd Edition Willimas & Wilkins, Baltmore MD, 1995:114-179
1. NessAiver M. Breath Hold Cines Using Phase Encode Grouping (Ch 9). In Pohost GM, ed. Cardiovascular Applications of Magnetic Resonance. Mount Kisco, NY: Gutura Publishing Co., Inc., 1993:133.
6. NessAiver M. An Introduction to the Physics of Magnetic Resonance Angiography. Magnetic Resonance Update, 2/03
5. NessAiver M. What referring physicians need to know about MRI Physics. Magnetic Resonance Update, 2/00
4. NessAiver M, Li N, Adali T, Turpin T. Optical reconstruction of echo planar MRI data sets. Proc SPIE Medical Imaging Physics, Newport Beach, CA 1997,pp 256-264
3. Li N, Adali T, NessAiver M. Magnetic resonance image reconstruction from non-equidistantly sampled data. Proc IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust., Speach, Signal Processing (ICASSP), Munich, Germany, Apr. 1997, pp 2829-2832.
2. Gupta N, Adali T, NessAiver M. Automatic left ventricular boundary detection for cardiac MR sequences. Proc. 10Th Int Symp on Computers and Info Sciences. Turkey, Oct. 1995, pp. 79-86
1. Singh M, NessAiver M. Accurate intensity correction for endorectal surface coil MR imaging of the Prostate. IEEE Trans Nucl Sc 1993;40(4):1169—1173.
46. NessAiver M, Rangwala N, Rysker T, Gullapalli G. Endorectal Coil with an Internal Reference for Quantitative MRSI. Proc. of ISMRM, 2003, 1178
45. NessAiver M, Parthasarathy V, Stone M, Prince J. Magnitude Image C-SPAMM Reconstruction (MICSR) and HARP Analysis of Tongue Motion. Proc. of ISMRM, 2003, 940
44. NessAiver M, Prince J. Improved CSPAMM Tag Contrast and Persistence Using Magnitude Image Reconstruction (MICSR). Proc. RSNA 2002, 851
43. NessAiver M, Stone M, Parthasarathy V, Prince J. Using Tagged Cine-MRI to Extract Muscle Activity within the Tongue Proc. RSNA 2002, 552
42. NessAiver M, Prince J. Magnitude image CSPAMM reconstruction (MICSR) improves tag contrast and persistence. Proc. ESMRMB, 2002, CANNES, FRANCE, 934
41. Berg WA, Gutierrez L, NessAiver M, Ureta C Performance of MIP and Subtraction Displays in Breast MRI interpretation. Proc. RSNA 2001 #846
40. NessAiver MS Optimization of Tag Lines (SPAMM) in Cardiac MRI. Proc. AAPM, Salt Lake City, Utah, 7/252001, WE-C-250A-3
39. NessAiver MS Relationship between k-space trajectory and artifacts in breath held, gated segmented k-space imaging Proc. ISMRM Glasgow, Scotland, 2001, 452
38. Hisley KC, NessAiver MS The carotid bifurcation as a blood flow pulsatility low-pass filter characterized by magnetic resonance phase contrast flow quantitation methods Proc. ISMRM Glasgow, Scotland, 2001, 1918
37. Childers M, Hisley K, NessAiver M, Eggleton C. The internal carotid artery as a low pass filter. 53rd Proc. Of Division of Fluid Dynamics Washington, DC 9/19/00 AA.002
36. NessAiver MS, Biswas S. Image Registration Using a Discrete Fourier Transform Implementation of the Decoupled Automated Rotation and Translation Algorithm (DFT-DART). Proc. ISMRM Denver, CO, 2000, 586
35. NessAiver MS, Sandip S. A DFT and Optical Implementation of the Decoupled Automated Rotational and Translational (Opto-DART) Image Registration Algorithm. Proc. AAPM, 1999, PO-D-4
34. NessAiver MS, Hisley KC. High Resolution Dynamic Imaging of the Carotid Bifurcation and Carotid Stenoses Using a 3" Surface Coil. Proc. ISMRM Sidney, 1998:494
33. Gullapalli RP, Stone M, NessAiver MS, Lundberg A, Davis E, Kasuboski L. Tagged Cine Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Tongue Movement. Proc. ISMRM Sidney, 1998:1126
32. Stone M, Lundberg A, Davis E, Gullapalli R, NessAiver M. Three-Dimensional coarticulatory Strategies of Tongue Movement. Proc. EuroSpeech, 1997 1:31
31. NessAiver M, Gullapalli R, Noll D. Improved Resolution of Spiral EPI Data Using Digital and Optical Implementation of the DFT. Proc. ISMRM, Vancouver, 1997:2005
30. NessAiver M, Hisley C. Cardiac-Gated, Segmented k-Space Cine Imaging Greatly Improves Measurements of Carotid Bulb Diameter Even in the Presence of Turbulent Flow. Proc. ISMRM, Vancouver, 1997: 1846.
29. White C, Baffa J, Haney P, Campbell A, NessAiver M. Anomalies of Pulmonary Veins: Utility of Spin-Echo and Gradient Echo Images. Proc. ISMRM, Vancouver, 1997: 880.
28. NessAiver M, Gullapalli R, Noll D, Li N. Improved resolution reconstruction of spiral MRI data sets using the discrete Fourier transform implemented on an optoelectronic device. HOT TOPIC Proc RSNA, 1996:G14H
27. NessAiver M, Turpin T, Li N, Woodford P. Rapid Reconstruction of Non-Rectilinear MR Data Sets with an ImSyn™ 2D Fourier Optic Device. Proc. ISMRM, NY, 1996:361
26. NessAiver M, Judy J. Analytical Correction of Endorectal Surface Coil Inhomogeneity. Proc Int. Soc of Mag Res Med, NY, 1996:1605
25. NessAiver M, Krebs T, Wong J. Improved registration for subtraction of pre- and post-contrast 3D breast images. Proc Int. Soc of Mag Res Med, NY, 1996:38
24. Hamet MR, Pao D, Rothman MI, NessAiver M. Relationship between T1 and T2 MR signal intensities and protein content in sinonasal secretions. Proc Am Roentgen Ray Soc, San Diego, 1996
23. Daly BD, Pomerantz S, Krebs T, Wong J, NessAiver M, Severson M. A customized computer program for quality assurance in abdominal CT. Proc Am Roentgen Ray Society 1996
22. NessAiver M, Krebs T. Postprocessing of endorectal surface coil MR images of the prostate gland. Proc. RSNA 1995:452
21. Krebs Tl, Daly BD, Wong J, Pomerantz S, NessAiver M, Bartlett S. Prediction of acute pancreatic transplant rejection: signal appearance on FSE T2 weighte MR. Proc. RSNA:. 1995
20. NessAiver M, Fernandes BS, Krebs T, Wong J, Severson M. Three dimensional subtraction of pre- and post-contrast breast image with translational and rotational registration. Proc Int Soc of Mag Res, Nice France. 1995:438
19. Krebs TL, Daly BD, Wong J, NessAiver M, Pomerantz S, Bartlett S. Psoas to pancreatic FSE T2 signal ratio as a predictor of acute pancreatic rejection. Proc. Soc of Mag Res, Nice France. 1995
18. Krebs TL, White CS, Daly BD, NessAiver MS. Diaphragmatic Imaging Optimization. Society of Magnetic Resonance, San Francisco, CA, Proc. SMR 1994:1472
17. Clarke GD, McColl RM, Li HF, NessAiver M, Erdman WA, Peshock RM. Feasibility of breath—hold magnetic resonance flow measurements in coronary vessels. Medical Physics 1993;20(3):892.
16. Clarke GD, Erdman WA, NessAiver M, Liu H, Murdoch JB, Peshock RM. Multisection breath hold imaging in the lung with multisection excitation pulses and Hadamard Processing, Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, San Francisco, CA, Proc SMRI 1993:P020.
15. Margosian PM, NessAiver M. Volume dynamic MR angiography studies of the heart, great vessels and lungs, Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, San Francisco, CA, Proc SMRI 1993:165.
14. Wilbert LG, Lowal JR, Erdman WA, Peshock RM, Le HF, NessAiver M, Clarke GD. Rapid Measurement of Renal Blood Flow by Using Breath—Hold Cine MR Imaging with Phase— Encoding Grouping, Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, San Francisco, CA, Proc SMRI 1993:163.
13. Peshock RM, Kowal JR, Wilbert LG, Erdman WA, Gutekurst DE, NessAiver M, Clarke GD. Submillimeter imaging of coronary arteries with angiographic and phase contrast velocity— encoding MR methods. Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, San Francisco, CA, Proc SMRI 1993:148.
12. NessAiver M. Single breath hold quantitative flow imaging using phase encode grouping (PEG). Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, New York, New York, Proc SMRI 1992:247.
11. NessAiver M. Subtraction of white blood cine images from black blood cine images to improve blood/myocardial contrast. Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, New York, New York, Proc SMRI 1992:126.
10. NessAiver M. Cardiac function analysis using phase encode grouping (PEG) acquired images. Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, New York, New York, Proc SMRI 1992:318.
9. Apicella A, NessAiver M, Wood. Auto—segmentation of ventricles in cardiac short axis cines. Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, New York, New York, Proc SMRI 1992:408.
8. Peshock RM, Clarke GD, Erdman WA, NessAiver M, Parkey RW. High resolution cine MR imaging of the coronary arteries with phase encode grouping. Radiological Society of North America 1992;185(P):393.
7. Clarke GD, NessAiver M, Liu H, Erdman WA, Peshock RM. Flow measurements in small vessels: effects of phase—encode group and vessel size. Radiological Society of North America 1992;185(P):393.
6. Li H, Clarke GD, NessAiver M, Liu H. Peshock RM. Accuracy of quantitative flow measurements with breath—hold MR imaging. Radiological Society of North America 1992;185(P):272.
5. NessAiver M, Erdman WA, Clarke GD, Peshock RW. Breath hold cine MRI for the assessment of blood flow using symmetric, centrally ordered phase encode groups (SCOPEG): technical description and initial clinical evaluation. Proc SMRM, p. 1158, 1991.
4. NessAiver M. Acceleration measurements using high temporal resolution velocity measurements. Proc SMRI, #351, 1991.
3. NessAiver M, Murdoch JB, Kasuboski L. Presaturation used to obtain black blood cines in the left and right ventricles. Proc SMRI, #324, 1991.
2. NessAiver M, Singh M. Application of the Biot—Savart law to correct images obtained with an intra—rectal surface coil. Proc of SMRM 1988, p. 991.
1. NessAiver M, Singh M, Jones L, Lewis S, Bradley W. Computed intensity correction of MR images of the prostate gland obtained with an intra—rectal surface coil. 73rd Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, Illinois, 1987.
Invited Talks and Seminars
9 MRI Physics for Beginners: 2 day, 12 hour seminar for technologists and physicians. Baltimore, MD – Presented February, March, May, 2002
8 MRI Physics for Beginners: 2 day, 12 hour seminar for technologists and physicians. Baltimore, MD – Presented March, May, August, October, 2001
7 New Concepts in Cardiac Imaging Parameters: 1 hour lecture at Section of Mag Res Technologists Annual Meeting, Glasgow, Scotland, 4/22/01
6. MRI Physics: 4 hour lecture at the Chicago Radiology Review Course Chicago, Illinois 8/23/00
5. Physics of Neurovascular Imaging. 1 hour lecture at Section of Mag Res Technologists Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado 4/00
4. MRI Physics: 4 hour lecture at the Chicago Radiology Review Course Chicago, Illinois 8/30/99
3. Advanced MRI Physics: 1 hour lecture at Section of Mag Res Technologists Annual Meeting Philadelphia, PA 5/23/99
2. All About MRI Physics: 3 day seminar for technologists and physicians. Las Vegas, Nevada 9/8 — 9/10/98
1 All About MRI Physics: 3 day seminar for technologists and physicians. San Diego, CA, 1/18 — 1/20/98